Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity (DEI)
As an independent school in the Catholic tradition, and committed to the Loretto School Values of faith, community, justice, and respect, St. Mary’s Academy is committed to diversity in its many forms. Diversity includes the human facets of race, ethnicity, national origin, geography, religion, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, age, physical ability, learning style, and marital, parental or economic status.
St. Mary’s Academy affirms the inherent dignity and value of each individual. Our school embraces the distinct identity of each person and helps students to appreciate their own identities and those of others. St. Mary’s Academy actively seeks families, faculty, and staff who bring a range of experience to the school.
We believe diversity increases the ability to formulate and nurture ideas and relationships resulting in a school community where all opinions and views are respected.
St. Mary’s Academy provides a scholarly learning environment for an educational experience that prepares students to participate in an increasing complex global society.
We believe that in a multicultural society, developing competency--the will and ability to create authentic and effective relationships across differences--is crucial to being a responsible and compassionate world citizen.
As part of our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusivity, we have been fortunate to have partnered with Dr. Maria Salazar to deepen and expand our work across the academy. Dr. Salazar's work at the University of Denver focuses on transformative teacher preparation through empirical research on equitable and effective teaching.
Recent Professional Development
- November 2020: High School faculty and students attended training on The Building Blocks of Civil Discourse with Dr. Lisa Damour.
- September/October 2020: All SMA faculty attended two-hour training with Dr. Salazar on racial justice.
- October 9, 2020: Gender Spectrum workshop sponsored by the Colorado Diversity Network.
- September, 2020: Middle School faculty book group completed How to Be an Antiracist
- April 3, 2020: Full-day workshop with Joel Baum from Gender Spectrum. The mission of Gender Spectrum is to create a gender inclusive world for all children and youth.
- February 8, 2020:Third Annual Diversity Hiring Fair hosted by St. Anne's Episcopal.
- February 1, 2020: Cherry Creek Diversity Conference